Surviving the first trimester in general is tough but throw in a crazy over active toddler and it’s almost impossible to imagine life after it. Well let me tell you you can get through the first terrifying trimester and here’s how.
1. Sleep when the toddler sleeps. Forget the house chores, forget watching loose women. As soon as you’ve tucked your toddler in for those precious two hours of bliss it’s time for you to do the same. Trust me you’ll wake up some what refreshed and able to tackle those hours before its time to tackle the bath bottle and bed routine.
2. If you’re a stay at home mum like myself get your other half to take the day off or take a half day from work. Get them to look after the toddler so you can relax, for me it was spending the day in bed eating chips whilst in my PJ’s watching old episodes of Friends.
And if you’re a working mum. Take the day off from work, leave the toddler in nursery and again go and do something that will help you relax and take those first trimester niggles away.
3. As hard as it maybe go to those toddler playgroups. It’s difficult getting out of bed let alone leaving the house when you’re feeling like utter crap but trust me two hours of playgroup is pure bliss. The toddler will run off to do his or her thang whilst you’re free to sit back and relax sipping on your decaf coffee or tea. Oh and don’t forget, if you can stomach it think of all those yummy biscuits!
4. Get organised. For me my morning sickness was worse from 3pm onwards until I went to bed. So I would always make sure I took Max out in the morning to burn off his toddler energy. Then by the afternoon when I was feeling rough and pretty much had my head down the toilet I would plan crafts, we’d watch a movie or he’d happily play with his toys for a couple of hours.
5. And finally take each day as it comes. You’re not being lazy, you’re not being a bad mother you’re growing another human being. Your hormones are everywhere, you have no energy and you have to entertain and manage a toddler. You’re doing a fabulous job! Just remember the first trimester doesn’t last forever and hopefully that second trimester energy burst will arrive soon.
How did you cope during the first trimester with a toddler?